Although I’m only familiar with eating fideo con limón and Tapatio, there are so many other ingredients people like to add to the mix. After a conversation with friends about the ways we prefer to eat fideo, I got lots of tips on ways to switch things up. Here are some of the different ways people enjoy their sopa de fideo.
- You can mix it with Banana…yes Banana.
This is the first time I’ve heard of it and I’m lowkey curious to find out what it tastes like. Although you might think that bananas and fideo do not mix well, people who grew up eating it this way say that the tomato base actually compliments the sweetness of the banana.
- Another sweet ingredient that is sometimes mixed in with sopa de fideo is corn.
The elotero should consider selling this for the winter. Just like the spice of powdered chile and the saltiness of mayonnaise compliments the sweetness of corn (as an elotero would prepare it), the corn in fideo must also compliment the saltiness of the broth.
- As a spicy alternative, some people like to add pickled jalapeños and carrots straight from the can
If you’re sick, this bowl of soup will sure clear up any sort of congestion.
- Others prefer to add fresh slices of nopales into their fideos.
All that’s missing is a couple of warm tortillas on the side. You can always use tortillas to make tacos, fideo tacos are awesome, you need to try it.
- But if you’re not a fan of ketchup, you can add a couple scoops of crema instead.
The best part about this creamy fideo combo is that you’re not limited to just one type of crema. You can go with crema Salvadoreña, crema Mexicana, or any other based on your preference.